The perfect dip for your chip.
Contributed by Hannah Bertiger, Hans Bananas
Our forefathers believed that we have unalienable rights, among them life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. To that end, I urge you to patriotically participate in the #LEVOlution, and dip your chips into this epic spinach artichoke dip during your July 4 celebration.
While homemade salsa and guac are tried and true accoutrements to salty and crunchy chips, something about a creamy dip made from fresh vegetables and infused with lots of spice and garlic just says ‘MERICA to me.
So I exercised my right to combine almond cream cheese with spinach, artichokes, and red onions to form a base in which to infuse garlic and chili. Enjoy this dairy-free dip with your favorite chip. Whether that’s pita, tortilla, veggies, or potato, this will make the perfect companion!
Infused Chili Garlic Oil
● 1 cup olive oil
● 1 medium sized clove of garlic
● 2-3 dried chili’s sliced open (depending on spice preference, but I like that sh*t hot, so 3 it is for me)
1. Add your garlic and chilis into the infuser compartment. Then add in the oil
2. Infuse at 165 degrees for 2 hours.
3. BAM- garlic chili oil in your super cool olive oil bottle.
To make the almond cream cheese for those lactose-free and vegan heads
● 1 cup of raw almonds
● 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
● 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
● ⅓ cup water
● Salt and pepper to taste Instructions
1. Soak the almonds in a bowl of water overnight, the drain.
2. Place the almonds back in a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Let them sit for about 6 minutes.
3. Drain the almonds and using your fingers, peel the skin off.
4. Add the peeled almonds to a food processor with the salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and apple cider vinegar. Add the water in batches to thin out and blend better.
5. Blend together until you achieve a cream cheese like consistency. (I know it’s satisfying)
To make the best dip for your 4th of July banger
● 1 batch of almond cream cheese
● 3 cups of fresh spinach
● 1 jar of artichoke hearts, in water, finely chopped
● ¼ cup of finely diced red onion
● 2 tablespoons of your LEVO infused chili garlic oil
● 1 Avocado
● Salt and pepper to taste
● Nutritional yeast
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of your infused LEVO oil in a pan, then add in the artichoke hearts and red onion.
2. Once nice and golden, add in the spinach. Cook until the spinach has fully wilted.
3. Add the spinach and artichoke mix to the almond cream cheese in a food processor.
4. Pulse until the mix comes together. Add in additional nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to taste.
5. Finish off the dip with a drizzle of your infused oil.
6. Enjoy that spicy infused dip and celebrate your patriotism.
About the Author:
Hannah Bertiger is a benefits coordinator at one of the fastest-growing startups in the country, where she focuses on employee engagement and wellness initiatives. She earned her Masters in Public Health from NYU and has worked with organizations such as Bloomberg, Edamam, and Cookbook Create. Follow her food adventures at hansbananas.com.